Monday 1 November 2010

babies and sloth wee






































































Ok so here are some pictures of the new babies as promised. It turns out we have actually had 5 new ones this week, not 3 as I said earlier. We had 2 more Bradypus brought in, both from the same man. Sadly it looks like they have been tied up by the wrist for a while though because they have clear markings there and don't enjoy anyone touching the arms - it's very sad. They are doing well though, and are very cute !!

I got to try out the fancy new microscope yesterday... we found some strange white paste-ish stuff in the urine of some of the sloths so I had a look to see if I could shed any light on it. It looked a bit like a close up view of white goo. We have no real idea what it could be, possibly calcium deposits (Rabbits get something similar), but who knows. They seem fine and well in themselves so time will tell. I have added a delicious picture of the poo/wee sample and microscope too.

Also while I remember, I was watching Attenborough's life of mammals a couple of days ago and the part about the Sloth's came on ... It definitely shows actual David Attenborough himself sitting here at Aviarios eating his breakfast - I got very excited that he was actually here !! And I never even knew ..! xx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Becky,

    I'm interested in the volunteer program but I cannot get a response from the sloth sanctuary's email address after multiple attempts. Is there a phone number I could call or an alternate email address you know of?

    Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. that sounds unusual, they are usually pretty good with the emails. It could be because Judy is away at the moment but I will find out for you tomorrow and let you know the best way to get in touch! We are in need of volunteers though so I am sure they will be glad to hear from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I have asked around and it was probably because of Judy not being here and not being able to access her emails. They had a quick look but couldn't find your name. Anyway she is back now so if you email again then I'm sure you will get a response :-)

    ReplyDelete